Database Administrator - London
23rd April 2012
Monitise plc is a technology and services company delivering mobile banking, payments and commerce networks worldwide with the proven technology and expertise to enable financial institutions and other organisations to offer a wide range of services to their customers in developed and emerging markets. Our technology platform is used by millions of consumers around the world to securely interact with their money via their mobile phones.
With live services in the UK, the US, India and Africa, the company is working with international partners to extend trusted and secure mobile banking, payment and commerce services in territories worldwide, including Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. Monitise has a global alliance agreement with Visa Inc. and strategic partnerships with Visa Europe, RBS Group and FIS. Other leading partners and clients include RBS, NatWest, HSBC, Lloyds Banking Group, First Direct, FIS, U.S. Bank, Ulster Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Travelex, Vocalink, Vodafone, Orange, O2, T-Mobile, 3 UK, Research In Motion, Best Buy Europe, The Carphone Warehouse, First Eastern, Astra, JETCO and PCCW mobile.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Although the scope and focus of the day to day activities within the role will change dependent on business requirements, the following should be considered the core activities:
- Reviewing developers’ scripts and advising on suitability and/or improvements
- Supporting developers knowledge and understanding of database components and technology
- Consulting to, contributing to and signoff on operational database design for production platforms
- Developing automated methods for self-service for developers and testers
- Scripting and managing changes for product releases
- Documentation of all database management processes, schemata, operations manuals and user guides
- Build and installation of Oracle databases in reference, staging and production environments
- Implementing the database portion of releases to staging environments
- Supporting the database portion of releases to production environments
- Managing and maintaining consistency of test data
- Peer review of scripts written by DBAs
- Capacity and performance management, planning and advice for development, QA and production databases
- Supporting, suggesting, investigating and implementing process improvements
- Learning how the database portion fits into the product, how it works, how the data itself affects the Monitise application
- Knowledge transfer to new DBAs to the team
- Consulting to teams within the organisation on database design, optimisation etc.
Education and Qualifications
Candidates must be educated to at least degree level or have equivalent experience in a relevant field.
Oracle certification would be advantageous – OCP or above.
- Vast experience of Oracle database administration (9i and 10g are essential versions) – installation, instance creation and cloning, monitoring, managing users implement auditing.
- Vast experience with SQL, PL/SQL and SQLPlus
- Proven involvement with release and change management
- Experience with RMAN Backup and recovery.
- Vast experience with supporting Oracle on Unix (Solaris and Linux) in a virtualised environment
- Experience of batch scripting
- Understanding and practical use of versioning software, e.g. CVS or Subversion
- Experience supporting and consulting Oracle in a software development environment
- Experience with Data Guard
- Experience with supporting/designing/maintaining Oracle databases for Java applications
- Experience with Data Modelling
- Experience with High Availability Oracle installations
- Experience with MySQL
- Experience with MS SQL Server
- Performance Monitoring in UNIX based environs
- Exposure to blade and Solaris zone architecture, or some form of virtualisation
Skills and Competencies
- Can-do attitude.
- Professional approach.
- Documentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong communication skills in a client-facing environment
- Analytical mind and creative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills.