Lead Software Architect - London
23rd April 2012
Monitise plc is a technology and services company delivering mobile banking, payments and commerce networks worldwide with the proven technology and expertise to enable financial institutions and other organisations to offer a wide range of services to their customers in developed and emerging markets. Our technology platform is used by millions of consumers around the world to securely interact with their money via their mobile phones.
With live services in the UK, the US, India and Africa, the company is working with international partners to extend trusted and secure mobile banking, payment and commerce services in territories worldwide, including Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. Monitise has a global alliance agreement with Visa Inc. and strategic partnerships with Visa Europe, RBS Group and FIS. Other leading partners and clients include RBS, NatWest, HSBC, Lloyds Banking Group, First Direct, FIS, U.S. Bank, Ulster Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Travelex, Vocalink, Vodafone, Orange, O2, T-Mobile, 3 UK, Research In Motion, Best Buy Europe, The Carphone Warehouse, First Eastern, Astra, JETCO and PCCW mobile.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Although the scope and focus of the day to day activities within the role will change dependent on business requirements, the following should be considered the core accountable activities:
- Team lead and management of up to 8 Software Architects (121s, weekly meetings)
- Responsible for review and acceptance of high level designs produced by the solution architecture team.
- Review and sign off low level design documentation produced by Software Architect team.
- Technical leadership to Software Architects.
- Contribute in Software Architect forum where application architecture policies and practice are discussed, refined and agreed.
- Recruitment of Software Architects including interview assessment.
- Technical impact assessment, task breakdowns and time estimates for new project requirements.
- Responsible for new technology evaluation, strategic investigations and policy definition.
- Governance of team development standards.
- Driving development and design standards.
- Identification, impact assessment and resolution of functional and non-functional defects.
- SCM task scheduling and feature management
- Technical escalation contact for test, database, project management and solution architecture teams during team project lifecycle.
Education and Qualifications
Successful candidates are likely to have been educated to degree level or have equivalent experience. Those with qualifications in an IT, engineering or scientific disciplines are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Experienced Software Architect
- Good understanding of the full software development lifecycle
- Good understanding of UML, OO design, design patterns
- Strong experience of software quality governance
- Strong team lead experience
- Strong J2EE (EJB2.1, EJB3, JSP, Servlets, MDB, JCA)
- Good working experience of a MVC framework
- Good working experience of a dependency injection framework
- Good working experience of a ORM framework
- Good working experience of developing and maintaining client and server side Web Services (SOAP)
- Experience with Oracle and RDBMS design
- Experience of Agile methods (SCRUM)
- Exposure to build tools and process (CI / Ant / Ivy / Maven)
- Experience of working in a TDD environment
- Experience of developing mobile solutions
- Exposure to production deployment and production support.
- ISO8583 banking protocol
- Working with geographically split teams
Skills and Competencies
- Looking to join a company that values professionalism
- Hard working, team focused
- Proven communication skills
- Ability to apply a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving
- Ability to produce written work to a consistently high standard
- Can do attitude