Desktop Team Leader - London
23rd April 2012
Monitise plc is a technology and services company delivering mobile banking, payments and commerce networks worldwide with the proven technology and expertise to enable financial institutions and other organisations to offer a wide range of services to their customers in developed and emerging markets. Our technology platform is used by millions of consumers around the world to securely interact with their money via their mobile phones.
With live services in the UK, the US, India and Africa, the company is working with international partners to extend trusted and secure mobile banking, payment and commerce services in territories worldwide, including Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. Monitise has a global alliance agreement with Visa Inc. and strategic partnerships with Visa Europe, RBS Group and FIS. Other leading partners and clients include RBS, NatWest, HSBC, Lloyds Banking Group, First Direct, FIS, U.S. Bank, Ulster Bank, Standard Chartered Bank, Travelex, Vocalink, Vodafone, Orange, O2, T-Mobile, 3 UK, Research In Motion, Best Buy Europe, The Carphone Warehouse, First Eastern, Astra, JETCO and PCCW mobile.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Although the scope and focus of the day to day activities within the role will change dependent on business requirements, the following should be considered the core accountable activities:
- Troubleshooting and supporting day-to-day Windows PC, Blackberry, virtualised Windows desktops, iOS device and Mac queries and problems
- Building and configuring new PCs to standard build specifications of OS and applications
- Building and configuring virtualised Windows environments for remote 3rd party users
- Troublehooting and supporting connectivity and configuration of Windows PCs and Macs to interact with unix-based server environments and applications
- Setting up and moves of desktop and related hardware
- Installation and configuration of desktop and mobile device software
- Ensuring desktop support ticket queue is managed across the teams and support hours including International offices
- Keeping up to date with security alerts and announcements for critical updates for the desktop OSs and managing testing of updates to ensure functionality of applications is not impacted
- Scheduling of patches and updates, based on criticality and test acceptance, for pushing out to the estate
- Development and maintenance of standard builds for Windows PCs, Macs and virtual Windows environments
- Local desk-side support of incidents and problems
- Logging and tracking physical desktop assets
- Logging and tracking logical IT assets (e.g. licenses)
- Recovery of assets from leavers/movers
- Management of stock levels of desktop hardware (Mac, PC, Printers and accessories), ensuring availability for business requirements
- Security of assets and raising staff awareness of their responsibilities
Support of desktop systems
- Development and maintenance of distributed systems for Windows PC and Mac builds
- Development and maintenance of patch, anti-virus update and other update distribution systems
Monitoring and validation of the desktop estate for compliance with updates and patches and resolution of any non-compliance
- Problem management for desktops and desktop systems
- User account management
- Quota management in conjunction with capacity planning
- Monitoring and tracking of resource use
- Backup and recovery of systems involved in providing the desktop estate – e.g. build and patch server
- Gatekeeper for approved software on company computers, in consultation with Head of Security and business units
- Raising staff awareness of policies and best practice
- Ensuring user induction of new staff on acceptable use, security basics and policy
Education and Qualifications
Candidates must be educated to at least degree level or have equivalent experience in a relevant field.
- Experience in a desktop support role in a commercial environment
- Experience of supporting, configuring and networking Microsoft Windows 7 based computer systems
- Experience of supporting, configuring and networking Mac OS based computer systems
- Experience in user or customer support
- Experience with Microsoft Windows Server environments for provision of services such as patch, backup or build management
- Understanding of the OSI model and how that translates to troubleshooting desktop applications/services
- Knowledge of the Internet beyond the World Wide Web
- Relevant IT qualifications or equivalent experience
- Experience supporting BlackBerry
- Experience dealing with business users at all levels
- Use of and experience with Unix-based operating systems
- Microsoft Office Specialist certification in Outlook, Word and Excel
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to multi-task.
- Strong communication skills.
- Analytical mind and creative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills.